BRIEF HISTORY OF THE HIGHLAND HILL COMMUNITY CHURCH
The Highland Hill Community Church began meeting in May of 1954 as a Southern Baptist Mission work in cooperation with Baptist General Convention of Oregon-Washington. Their first services were held in a rented home on S. 11th St. in Tacoma, Washington. Their first pastor was Dr. Robert Leazer who received the “ huge” starting salary of $250.00 per month.
On Oct. 10, 1954, the church was officially organized as the First Southern Baptist Church with 27 charter members. By August of 1955, the church was able to purchase a new building site, consisting of 42 lots, in a new area known as the Woodlawn Addition (Part of Highland Hill). The total cost for these lots came to $3,500.00.
In July, 1956, based on the new property they had purchased, the church voted to change its name to the “Highland Hill Baptist Church of Tacoma, WA.” However, it wasn’t until January 3rd, 1958 that the first of two buildings were purchased and moved onto the property from Fort Lewis. Worship services at this new location began shortly after this.
In January 2014, the church voted unanimously to keep the legal name of Highland Hill Baptist Church, but to do business as the Highland Hill Community Church.